Saturday, November 8, 2008

A smile is worth a thousand words

I think I have mentioned before how much I love Lily's smile; it is so sincere. When she smiles, her entire body smiles! I especially love it when I go in her room to get her from a sleep. Her arms and legs flail about as if independent from her chubby little body! She wakes up around 6:30 every morning and I generally can leave her in the crib for a good half hour before I know that she will begin spewing profanities at me for ignoring her. Alas, I go get her. I don't want to be cussed out by a 6 month old. Besides, that's much to early in the morning for such language.

Anyway. I had a thought the other day, (yes, scary when that happens isn't it) it was about the similarities of parenting and God. I have heard so often about God's love toward us being likened to how we love our own kids, but I am seeing it all the more now that I have my own children. Now follow me here, (good luck with that by the way) when Lily wakes up, she just hangs out and talks until I come in there. I try to appease her with the paci every 10 minutes or so; poor thing gets her hopes up that I've come to rescue her but no, I'm just trying to buy a few more minutes of sleep. However, no matter how long I have left her in the crib, when I finally do go in and talk to her, she is beyond thrilled and is smiling like she has just been given a million bucks and a slice of chocolate cake. She is not mad at me, hollering at me for leaving her there for too long. She is not saying to me "hey mom, you should have come the moment you heard me, you took to long to answer me." No. She just hangs out, fully trusting that in a few minutes, mom will hear me. Mom will hear me, and she will answer me...I'm just gonna be patient. And wait.

Following me? It can be hard to follow me, I know. But isn't that what the Lord wants us to do? Just chill out, wait for Him. He will come. He will meet the need. He has not left us or forsaken us. He just operates on His time is all. The Bible tells us that all things work together for the good to those that love God right? Right. So if that's the case, I'm just going to trust God, trust Him that His ways are higher than my ways. The answer to my prayer that I think I need, well, that just may be the wrong answer. Or it might be the right one, however point A has to match up to point B until that answer can be delivered. God has it all in hand. Isn't that amazing? Just chill. Just hang out, wait for God to move. He will. Just like every morning, Lily knows that my face will eventually peek over her crib and her needs will be met. Like Lily, every morning I can rest assured that God will be there, ready to meet my need. And also like Lily, I'm just going to lay there, and talk to myself =)

No comments: