Saturday, June 2, 2012

The world can't contain it

John 21:25 is such a cool verse. It says, "And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. Amen." I don't particularly have a thought about that verse off the top of my head, but I just read it and man, it's powerful. This is the last verse of the Gospels, before you get to the book of Acts where we get to watch the church begin to form. And it's because of this verse that the church took off! It's because of all the things that Jesus did, the things we know about and the "many other things He did" that we don't know about, that's what started the church. It's because people believed. And because we believe, we are the church. I love church. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I LOVE CHURCH! I have always loved it, ever since I became a Christian when I was a teenager. My world revolved around being at church. Not because I had to, but because I genuinely wanted to be there. It was always a safe place for me; a place where I felt accepted and a place that left me feeling better than I was when I entered the building. It literally makes me cringe when I hear people say negative statements about Church. Of course there are problems in every church, that's no surprise to anyone, but my goodness there are many churches that are doing some great things for the people and when I hear negativity about it, well it just upsets me. But that's another post for another time...or not. We believe. We believe because of what we know to be true from the Word of God. We believe that Jesus was born of a virgin. We believe that He lived a sinless life, doing miracles, changing peoples lives, delivering people, offering hope. We believe that He died on the cross, only to rise again on the 3rd day, to conquer death, Hell & the grave. We believe that He has prepared a place for us in Heaven, that where He is, we may also be. We believe. "I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written." Gosh that makes me smile. I have the biggest, cheesiest grin on my face right now. And no, it's not my awesome new coffee mug with the handle shaped like a Parrot that I got for $2.98 that is making me smile, although that does. It's that verse! It's just so.stinkin.cool. What else did He do? To me, what we know that He did is more than enough for me to believe. The things He did on this earth were nothing short of miraculous, it's enough for me to believe. It's enough to drive me through my day, with an attitude of thanks and praise. It's enough to take me into the house of the Lord on a Sunday to worship Him like they did in the book of Acts, because they believed. I believe. I know what the Bible says He did...and I know what He did for me. I know that I was born into a family that would face struggle, hardship, addictions & abuse. I know that as a result, the bitterness and anger inside of me only festered with age. I know that if I did not accept Jesus when I did, I know, I KNOW, that I would be a seriously messed up adult. And this I know, that if I were to write out every last thing that Jesus has done for me, be it large or small, the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. He has set my feet on a rock. He has quieted my anxious soul. He has made a way where there seemed to be no way. He has blessed me beyond measure in my life. He gave me a husband so handsome that I have separation anxiety when he is gone. He gave me kids that are so darn cute I could eat them for breakfast. He put me in a church that loves people so much it's contagious. He let's me live in a house so far above anything I could have ever asked for or imagined. I could go on and on and on and on...but the world can't contain it. The world can't contain it. Amen.

No comments: