Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The joy of my salvation

Psalms 51:12, " Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me. "

I love that verse. There truly is joy in salvation. Though I am the type of person that often will not allow myself to relish in the joy of the Lord, so to speak. There have been times in life where I have begun to feel sheer joy, and as soon as that peace sets in, I quickly think of something negative, I search my mind for a problem, just to make sure I don't ever feel 100% peace. Hmmm. Now how does that measure up with the above scripture? Well, it doesn't. I say that I have accepted Christs salvation right? Well if I have accepted salvation, that means I believe in God's word, that God can restore my joy...and God's word does not lie...therefore there MUST be joy in my life. For me to not accept that joy, is for me to deny what Christ did on the cross.

Joy is so much deeper than happiness. Happiness has to do with your happenings; your circumstances. Joy is found in your soul. That is why in James 1:2 it says, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you have trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." How can someone have joy in the midst of a trial? You most certainly won't be happy right? Right. You won't be happy. BUT, you can be joyful. Why? Because of the joy of your salvation. Because of the fact that if God be for us, who can be against us? Because at the end of the day, my name is written down in heaven and a place waits for me there. Because this life is only temporary; I'm just passin' through. Because God is merciful and just. Because the Bible tells me that my steps are ordered by the Lord. I don't have to fear tomorrow, because I know the one who holds tomorrow.

In the book of Psalms, King David is asking the Lord to "restore unto him the joy of His salvation." That clearly shows us how easily we can let go of that joy. But God is faithful to restore it, and to help us sustain it.

The joy of the Lord is a peace that goes so deep into your soul, which causes you to say, "everything is gonna be ok."

I am learning that it is not only ok to allow myself to feel true & pure joy, it's something that Jesus died to give us. I don't ever want to take that for granted. The next time you feel yourself refusing joy (if anyone even thinks like me) ask God to restore to you the joy of His salvation. It's there for the taking.

2 comments:

D said...

Oh Jen, thank you so much for this. I so very much need it right now. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction; for keeping my path straight. I know God has put you in my life right now for a reason.

Blessings,
Dawn

certifiedkeysfan said...

you've just planted words of wisdom in my life. what you've said has spoken to me, and i attest to whatever you've said.
thank you, god bless!