Saturday, February 8, 2014

We don't say that word.

Shut-up. We don't say that word in our house, nor anywhere else for that matter. I just don't like the word so of course I teach my kids not to say it. However, there's a time and a place for it to be used. There is? Yes. Stay tuned.

Do ever just need a good dose of peace? I do. My mind can over run me to the point of exhaustion! I'll find myself worrying about people, or situations or things that I'd like fixed immediately rather than wait; only to eventually land at the same conclusion: I still have no control over any of it. I wonder if you can relate?

I love Isaiah 41:10, it's super familiar and we hear it quoted often at church, but today, I'm focusing on one word, "dismayed."

"Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."

Be not dismayed.

Now, I love this scripture for more reasons than the word "dismayed," but that word stuck out at me just now as I read it. What's funny is that earlier in the week, I read this scripture and my heart was drawn towards God holding us with His righteous right hand. I love how scripture does that, God lights up just what He wants you to read at that moment. It's truly His living Word.

Be not dismayed.

The definition of dismay is this: "To cause someone to be worried, disappointed or upset." Or how about this doozy, "To lose courage."

I've studied the topic of fear quite a lot over the years, as it's an area that used to hold me pretty tight. Fearing the things that could go wrong; fearing the "what if's" that our lives might bring. And because of time spent in the Word about the topic of fear, I can pretty easily give the "what if's" over to God. I realize I have no control over the future, and I know that I know that I know, that should something come up that seems unmanageable for me, I know that God would see me through the situation. I'm good with the start of the verse, "Fear not." I'm totally cool with that, I can rest there. I'm not afraid of the future because I do indeed know that God is with me. Fear not, He is with me. I'm there.

Be not dismayed.

Don't worry? Don't be disappointed? Don't be upset? Don't lose courage?

I can't be alone on this one, can I? We can all fill in the blank to this one: "I am dismayed over _______." That person you are constantly worrying about, be it a friend, a family member, a son or daughter, a spouse. That financial difficulty looming over your head. The health struggle perhaps you are currently facing; maybe you are trying to get your weight to a healthier place and the task is so daunting that it's far easier to "lose courage" then to keep fighting. Perhaps the dream that you know without a shadow of a doubt was birthed by God is nowhere near on the horizon and you are beyond disappointed, doubting you even heard God.

Be not dismayed, for I am your God.

If we could get but a glimpse of the power that lies behind that statement, "for I am your God," we would not have room to be dismayed. If we only knew the wonder working power, I mean really really really knew His power, when something began to overwhelm us, we would simply say to our minds the word we Steelman's don't say: "SHUT-UP!" Just shut up!

SHUT UP!

I will not be dismayed, because God is with me. I will not be worried, because my Father owns the cattle on a thousand Hills, He has exactly what I need and He knows exactly how to get it to me. I will not be disappointed because I serve a sovereign God that knows the end from the beginning; He knows the right path I should be on so I'll simply follow His lead and I'll not see closed doors as disappointing but rather as God's sovereign hand moving in my life! I will not be upset over things I cannot control because my Father has solved more problems for me than I can even count, whatever I'm facing today is nothing to His mighty hand! And the last part of our definition is a powerful one: I will not lose courage! I will not lose courage because my Bible says that, "If God be for me, who can be against me?" Whatever problem I'm trying to whip today is not bigger than the power of Almighty God! I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!

Read our verse once more and let it sink in your heart: Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.

He promises to strengthen us through it all...whatever is causing you to be dismayed today, know that God will give you the strength to get through it. He promises to help us, and whats more, He promises to hold us up with His righteous right hand. And what's in His hand is far more powerful than what could ever be in mine. So when it comes to the worry, to having disappointment, to being upset and to losing courage, I'll take what's in His hand. Besides, I can't control it anyway. So in a nicer term I'll end with this:

Dear mind, HUSH UP!

1 comment:

Misty said...

I like to tell the devil to shut up any time he tries to creep in on me. He may not plant the bad thoughts, but he will sure use them against you to render you to a powerless hopeless, "dismayed" state of being.

But God is with us, so yes, Shut up old smutty face. There is more than enough power in God's word to shut him up.