Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Just keep singing!

My oldest daughter is 9, she'll be turning 10 in August; I will have a kid in the double digit age! Yikes. She is such a sweet girl, full of personality too, she seriously makes us laugh. That being said, her humor apparently only goes so far as she is embarrassed of my antics! I like to sing, a lot. Now I may not sing good, but I love to sing. I sing proper songs but I also sing random, made up songs. And don't get me started on Disney. I lose all inhibition when Joei Kate starts to play the "Frozen" soundtrack. On my bucket list is to be a voice over in a Disney film so I can't be held responsible for what happens when I hear music from a Disney film, it's just in me. Sorry kid.

Well, I often like to perform said antics when dropping the girls off at school, purely to harass my pre-tween daughter. I know, it sounds mean, and I stop quickly but I have to at least get a song out, or a random dance, just to see her pull me close and pretend to have something important to tell me for fear that I'll continue.

So this morning I was dropping her off at school and I began to process a great analogy the Lord gave me! Which, apparently that embarrasses her too! Sheesh, I can't win with this kid. But nonetheless, the Lord gave me a thought as we walked in the courtyard of her school. It was really foggy this morning; they do flag salute outside so Joei Kate said, "I bet we won't do flag salute outside since we can't see it!" To which I replied, "You'll be able to see it as you get closer, that's how it is in the fog. You can't see the object from a distance, but as you get closer, it becomes clearer."

As I sit down and begin to process this thought, the scripture in 1 Corinthians 13:12 comes to mind: "Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely."

Another translation says, "Now we see things dimly," and that's a great way to think of this life as well. We see things dimly, we see things imperfectly, every.single.day.

I like to know what's ahead, don't you? I like to know how that problem will be solved, I like to know what's going to happen for my loved ones future, I want to know exactly how point A is going to get to point B. In other words, I don't like the fog. I don't like to aim towards something I can't see! It's un-settling, it's frightening at times, and it can be downright scary.

But as we go through life, and different situations rise up that test our trust, if we really look carefully, we notice that as we move towards the situation, clarity is available for the moment. We may not see far ahead, we may even have .01 visibility, but there will be something. There will be something we can cling to, even if but for a moment. The saying "there's always a silver lining," bares witness. There is always something you can pull from your foggy situation, always. It may be the tiniest of tiny's but there has to be a tad visibility. As we move forward in faith, often times in blind faith, our current surroundings become clear. And as you move to the next step, and then the next step, and then the next, you will notice clarity that comes along with each movement. You may not see your object yet, you may not be able to zero in on exactly what lies ahead, but as you keep walking, you can trust that God will highlight your next step. And then the next, and then the next.

I love the scripture I just read; "all that I know now is partial and incomplete, but THEN I will know everything completely." Won't that be such an awesome day? When we know everything completely. Oh my goodness how I long for that. But for now, I'll keep stepping, I'll keep moving forward, I'll keep looking for the visibility that God would grant me, and you can bet I'll keep singing. After all, it's in me.

No comments: