Thursday, April 26, 2012

Saved


I'm sitting here on this dreary morning, cozy in my bed while the girls watch a little cartoons...Joei Kate is home from school with a sick tummy. So of course Lily feels the need to be sick as well since "we are not caring about her" like we are big sis. This plays out until dad brings donuts...then she perked right up. But then quickly became ill again once said donut was safely in her stomach.

Anyhow, I'm thinking about salvation this morning. If you look up the meaning of the word "salvation,"  it says, "the state of being protected from harm or risk."

Hmm. Indeed it is that. As Christians, we know salvation to be the day we are saved from the penalty of sin; the day we are guaranteed life eternal with Jesus in Heaven. Never again will there be a day that we won't exist. We will always be somewhere. Somewhere. I don't agree with Oprah on all the things she says but something I heard her say struck me interesting; she said, "we are all spiritual beings having a human experience." I thought that was really good. We will always be somewhere, living some kind of something. After my time is done living the human experience, I'm going to get to exist with Jesus! Wow. Oh that I may live out this human experience to the fullest potential...but that's another post for another time!

I am so thankful for the grace of God. The grace that draws people to belief in Him. The grace that I know beyond the shadow of a doubt welcomed my Grandpa into Heaven, regardless of the fact that Grandpa did not live his life for the Lord...but before he died, I know he came to faith in God. I know He believed. And because of that, I will one day see him again. So grateful for grace.

When I was 14 years old, I went on a trip to Mexico with the church we were going to at that time. My mom had since re-married a man that was a Christian, so we all started going to church. I was about 12 or 13 when that began; going to church that is. I didn't necessarily like church at the time, but I didn't not like it either. At that stage in life I was hanging out with friends and getting into things a girl my age ought not be getting into...my mom was none the wiser, as long as I went to church, she was happy.

So when a trip to Mexico was on the table, I was all for that! I remember driving on the church bus, staring out the window as we made our way through Tijuana. I recall feeling so hopeless as I stared at the poverty that presented itself outside of my little window. I wanted to help those wonderful people, but I had nothing to give them. I had nothing in me.

I honestly had no idea what I was in for, I thought it was a "fun" trip to Mexico. And it was fun. But what I didn't expect was salvation. I didn't expect it because I didn't even know I needed it.

By age 14, I was a mess of a kid. I had been so wounded by things in my childhood that the issues plaguing me were enough to send me down a very, very dark path...a path on which I believe I was already stepping into, one toe at a time. The choices I had been making up to that point were not wise, not for a young teenager. Heck, not for anyone!

I was steeped in hurt, pain, bitterness, anger, hatred, insecurity and fear. I was a mess. And that's putting it lightly.

I needed to be protected from harm or risk. I needed salvation.

The first night in Mexico we gathered for a service. There was preaching. I remember parts of the message that Coco Perez shared that night; he spoke out of Joel 2. But I remember salvation. I remember going to the altar that night to be protected from harm or risk. I remember going to that alter that night and surrendering my life to Jesus. I was saved! Gloriously saved!

I don't use the word "saved" often when referring to people accepting Christ in their hearts, but I should. Because when we accept Jesus, when we recognize the need for salvation, we are indeed being saved. We are being saved from a life of fear. We are being saved from a life of uncertainty. We are being saved from a life of hurt and of pain. We are being saved. Oh my goodness we are SAVED!

Sure we still face all the "junk" the world throws; but we are protected from harm or risk! Why? Because ultimately, our home is Heaven. In this life we will face trials of many kinds, but my goodness, we are just passing through. This is a stop on our journey, this thing called life. One day, I will face Jesus. I will look at Him with the same eyeballs I'm looking at this lap top with. I will look my Savior straight in the face...that is, if I can pull myself up off the ground. What a savior. He saved me.


I could go on and on...but today, I guess I'm just thankful to be saved.

No comments: