Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History is made

I've never been much into politics, however I find myself mesmerized at all the Inaugural happenings today. Watching the masses of people that just hoped to hear President Obama speak to them in person, that was pretty astounding. The first African American President. What a wonderful thing for the country, I can only imagine the pride that must be felt from every hardworking African American. Or from the older generation that saw slavery first hand. Amazing. Although, his race was never an issue to me, at all. Though unfortunately I'm sure it was for many other Americans, and that's why this day is so historic. Personally, I did not vote for him for other reasons, things that I don't agree with...however, gotta love the "howevers" in life don't ya. However, God has called us to pray for our leaders, and that's what I will do.

I was trying to explain to Joei this morning about the President, and what his job is. I told her that we needed to pray for him to make wise decisions. So when she saw Obama on the screen for the first time, she asked if that was the new president and I said yes. And she said, "oh he's just some guy from the news!" Well ya, he's been on the news but my darling, yes indeed, he is our president...and we need to pray for him. She said, "no we don't, he has not made bad decisions." So there ya have it, while Joei may have faith in our new President, many don't. That being said, it's not up to us as Christians to criticize and argue the political views surrounding President Obama; rather it is up to us to lift him up in prayer. No, of course we don't have to agree with everything, or keep silent. There is a time and a place for that though, but for now, I hope that we can just pray for President Obama, and his family.

1 Timothy 2:1-3
I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone—for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior.

6 comments:

Jess the Mess said...

Very good sis. I for one still follow the creed of if you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all....I agree though that we should pray for him and live according to the word. Thanks for giving that scripture too, it made me realize that even though he is a wackadoo it is still my duty as a Christian to pray for him to make good choices...
Very contoversial sister....and grown up.

Jennifer said...

Well you know sis, now that I'm 32 and all, I'm wise. =)

Jess the Mess said...

Yes, now that you are old you have tenure...did I spell that right?

Ronda said...

I'm right there with you politically. While I was watching the coverage and seeing the real wackadoos (love that word) in the mall crying because they think he is some kind of savior or something, I was praying for them. I was also moved to tears watching the massive crowds bowed in prayer. As long as we have that, we truly DO have hope.

Charity said...

I agree it's such a wonderful thing to have the first african american president, and Selah and I had a political conversation about it too! Ohh they learn so young now!

Marlene said...

Just gotta join in all this wackadoo talk (thanks for the new word!).... So in all my years I've never been interested in politics at all. It's embarrassing how much I don't know about the world around me. Oh well. But for some strange reason I'm really into this election/inauguration stuff this time. Maybe because it's so historical. Maybe because I need to learn stuff to have a somewhat intelligent conversation with smart people. Or maybe because as I see society spiraling downward it gives me hope. Hope knowing how much GOD is really the one in control. Praying for our country and praising God that some day we're all gonna be outta here dancin' in the streets of Heaven! :o )