Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Interrupted

Isaiah 9:6 is a super familiar verse this time of year and it says, "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

As I ponder this verse, the reality of it is sinking deep into my soul, and perhaps it will make it's way into your busy, possibly stressed and overwhelmed soul as well. The fact of the matter is this, we are busy. So busy. In fact, if anyone at all is even taking time to read this, it's most likely being skimmed through as you stand in line at Costco or Target or dare I say at a red light. Not that I know from experience or anything...

Christmas time. Ah how we love it, don't we? We love the lights and the trees and the baking and the movies and the stories and the family time. And then there's the shopping. And the lists. And the cards. And the guilt of receiving a gift from someone you didn't get a gift for. And the lines. And the grumpy people in said lines. And yet, we barrel through it every year.

But right now, in this moment, I want to pause and read this verse again. Do I have things to do? Yes. I actually have a million things to do. But in reality, nothing pales in comparison to this moment. Because this is what it's all about.

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace"

A child interrupted the world. When Jesus was born, he interrupted Mary & Joseph whose lives were in such an exciting time, preparing for marriage. The birth of Jesus interrupted the wise men, who had to stop what they were doing and decide if they would follow a star to see the King, or would they stay in their normal. Jesus certainly interrupted the government, as King Herod did all he could do to wipe out Jesus before He even got started. He interrupted the world.

Oh how I want Him to interrupt my world today. Yes, my to do list is long today. And I know that yours is too. But today, I choose to pause and embrace the interruption.

A child was born TO US. A Son was given, TO US. That precious Son has been my counselor more times that I can recall. He has shown Himself to be a mighty God in times that I could not defend myself or find the solution for my problem. That Son is my everlasting Father; He has carried me, loved me, hugged me, provided for me & guided me. And lastly, that Son, the child born to us, He has been my Prince of Peace. Oh how He has been my peace. Peace has overshadowed me through so many storms. Peace has guided me through difficult decisions. And peace, it rests upon me even now.

Yep, the Christmas season is here. We embrace the wonderful things we love about it and we endure the things we necessarily don't. But through it all, don't miss the interruption. Oh what a beautiful interruption indeed.

And if you are reading this in line at Wal-Mart, just start yelling at the top of your lungs and flailing about like a flying bird that's been shot mid-flight. Maybe they'll move you forward in line. Or maybe they'll call the cops. But either way, you'll get out of Wal-Mart quicker. And with that I say Merry Christmas! May the peace of God that surpasses all understanding guard your heart and your mind today as you look for that sweet interruption.

Amen. And amen.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen! The peace that surpasses all understanding always help me through the Christmas season. Every Christmas I am reminded of my brother, whom I lost. In 2000, my brother who had Lupus passed away on Chrismas eve. Right there in the waiting room of UC Davis I was on my knees crying and praying"God I don't what to pray for but you know I need you now more than ever." His peace has always been more than sufficient for me. It's because of his peace I am able to make it through my difficulties when it's seems to be impossible. Thanks for sharing. I needed this interruption at work today to be reminded of God's Love.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful gift we have all received in Jesus. Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. Merry Christmas to you and Joey and the girls. Thank you for all you do for us