Saturday, November 3, 2012

Kate is 8?!

I have some pretty cool kids. I just do. They are both unique and different in their own ways, that is for sure. I have yet to do my usual Birthday letter to my oldest baby girl, even though she turned 8 a few months ago. But I figure, what better time than now.

I love to write letters to them; as I'm not one for scrap-booking, I figure this is the next best thing!

I think one reason I've yet to write this Birthday letter is due to the fact that I really have not yet accepted Joei Kate is 8 years old. For some reason this age is hitting me harder than any other age has. I don't know why...just, 8? I mean, 8. EIGHT. It's crazy.

Dear Joei Kate,

You are 8. And that rhymes. And if you were standing next to me we would make up a song about that, as we often make up songs about anything and everything. You are such an awesome kid. I've seen you grow up so much in the past year, too much for my liking and certainly too much for your dad's mental state to handle! I can begin to envision what life will be like for you in the next few years, as you begin to leave the world of a child and onto an actual "kid" now. Ugh.

You are in 2nd grade, with Mrs. Halley. You really like having her for a teacher. You have your BFF in class with you, so I honestly wonder if you pay attention to said enjoyable teacher but nonetheless, you like 2nd grade. You are a loyal friend. You are quick to overlook people's faults when it comes to your friendships; you are a forgiving person as well. I've watched you do it...even if you didn't realize that's what you were doing.

You are so sensitive, and so precious. You are an extremely beautiful girl, both on the outside and on the inside. You have always been, and still are, very compassionate. You don't like me to repeat things to you, such as, do your chores - get your shoes on - empty your lunch pail - on and on...But as your mother, unfortunately nagging is an allowed gift. Sorry about that ;)

You are a great reader, you picked up on that quickly. You love to color and draw, and are very good at that also. You enjoy song-writing and singing. You love to watch TV, especially if there is a fire in the fireplace. But you don't like the fireplace door open, you are extremely cautious. You still are very shy when in the company of strangers, so is Lily. But after awhile, you warm up and begin to share your awesome personality with the world! You still love to be in the nursery at church, "helping" Miss Aleyda. I think you will forever work in the nursery!

A highlight for me recently was watching you be baptized! You decided on your own, that you were ready to make that public confession of your love for Jesus, by being baptized in water. How cool for you that it was your daddy that got to do it! I think you said, "Oh poo," over the mic, if I recall...I don't remember why, but I do believe you did. Yep. That's my girl. Loves potty talk.

I sure love ya kid. I know daddy does not agree with this, as he wants you to stay little forever, but I look forward to growing with you. I look forward to all the years we have ahead of us, watching you change, watching you learn...and in turn, learning a whole lot myself. Love, mom

No comments: