Thursday, September 1, 2011

A change will do you good

That song has been stuck in my head...but that's the only part I know! "A change, will do you good." Yep. That's all I know. I can't even tell you who the artist is. I suppose I could google it, but that would require to much finger tapping on the mouse and, well, don't wanna. So there. But regardless, I've been humming it all week!

I've posted on the topic of change before, but it always hits me in different ways. Fall is coming. The Crepe Myrtle tree (my fav) is starting to look not so pretty anymore...the evening temps are lower, it's getting dark quicker...all signs of fall. Fall gets me thinking about change, hence the song that I don't even know and don't know the artist being stuck in my head all week! Ah but I digress. Sheryl Crow? I think so. She seems nice. I love her hair.

Anyhoo. I shared on this topic Sunday at church, and I was reminded of when the iphone first came out. I was so anti the iphone! I had my little Razor phone and it was all I needed. Text and call. I'm good. Joey got one pretty early on, and I would fly into a panic every time I tried to figure that darn phone out! It was no use. I was like a fish outta water. A bird with no wings. Cereal with no milk. Playing Duck Duck Goose when nobody says "Goose." Sheryl Crow without her guitar as she sang about change. Or did she?

You get the picture. But, alas, the time came that I needed a new phone...and reluctantly, I caved into the iphone. And let me tell you friends that I HAVE NEVER LOOKED BACK! I have apps that track my food, track my moods, track my every blessed move. And i have not even tapped into the world of apps really. Point being, I use my phone now for quite a bit, it's extremely handy. I never knew I needed it until I had it. Did I "need" it? Well, no. But has it been handy? Yes.

Change. We don't like change! Very few people say how much they love change. Except Sheryl Crow. I think. But really, most people don't proclaim their love of change from the rooftops. "Good morning Change! I love you! I love being uncomfortable, I love stepping out into the unknown. I love not knowing what's around the corner. I love wondering where my paycheck is coming from now. I love not knowing which way to turn. I love using different shampoo." NO! Very few people can say they love change...that is, until they change.

Because once we change we think doggonit I wish I had embraced this before! Like the iphone. That's a silly analogy, I know. But makes a good point.

Changing, learning, making adjustments, all are part of growing. But so often we get stuck in the same place, we fear change, we fear the unknown outcome, and so we stay the same. We don't launch out into the deep. We don't tackle that weight problem we've battled for years. We don't fix that friendship. We don't start that new business or ministry. We don't change our attitude. We don't change the way we treat people. We don't set healthy boundaries for ourselves when we know full well we need to. Because we fear that the outcome won't be what we expect. Or we fear that we will fail anyway, so why try. And so we stay right where we are. The same.

Proverbs 1:5 says, "A wise man will hear and increase in learning." I want to be wise. I want to always be learning, always increasing in knowledge, always growing. But in order for that to happen, I have to embrace change. It's never easy. Never. But man, once you walk into it, you wish you had done it so much sooner.

As fall is fast approaching, join me in looking for some opportunities for change. If we don't look for them, we just might miss them. Take the advice of my friend Sheryl, a change will do you good!

2 comments:

Tanya S said...

I like change for the better :) Great message... Arms wide open here it comes...C~H~A~N~G~E .... And you know what I am gonna fall right into its arms and embrace it... :) Thanks Sis Jen

Tanya S said...

PS... it is Sherl Crow <3