Monday, January 3, 2011

Non-Sufficient Funds

I remember when I was about 20 or 21, I went to stay in England for 6 months. At the time, my aunt lived there and I was doing some work in her local church. It was a great time in my life, but that's another post for a different time! Anyway, I left my bank account open here in the States, I don't think there was hardly any money in it though! But nonetheless, I left it open. Well, I had a gym membership that I cancelled prior to leaving, as it was deducting money from my account and I needed that to stop. Come to find out, 6 months later, they were still taking money from my account, leaving me with non-sufficient funds, and a ton of fees. Good times.

I read a neat quote today, it says, "We never cry out to God and receive a returned check stamped 'Insufficient Grace.'" - Sandy Smith

Don't you love that? It does not matter what you put into your so called Spiritual bank account, or what you do not put into it, Grace is always there for you. God does not respond to us with even a hint of rejection! Ah I love that!

Ephesians 2:10 says "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."

While yes, indeed we are created to good works, we do not receive love or grace by doing said good works! If we never did a blessed thing again on this earth for Him, God's love would still be there for us. He still would smother us with his ever present help, love, mercy & grace. What a great Lord!

But we can't get away from that scripture, that yes, we were created for good works....His workmanship...that means we were carefully planned....every detail of our world, every facet of our lives, every little personality quirk we have, our looks, our hopes & dreams; It's all just a part of God's crafty workmanship. WOW!

There are tons of reasons we were created to do good works, but let me touch on two of them that I personally think:

1. To help people! Just plain and simple. We are called to be God's hands extended, in all that we do. Oh man, that I would grab hold of that calling, and be the hands of Jesus wherever I go. Whether it be to help someone cross the street, be kind to the person that shoves you at Wal-Mart when you have lost every last ounce of blessed patience at that store, or even just being a blessing to your family and friends. Every facet of our lives, created to do good works. To help people!

2. To help us! It just plain feels good when you have something to do with your life. Especially for us ladies, we need to be needed. And we need to know that what we are doing is worth something. Oh what a great place to live, knowing that you are doing your best to reach your full potential in life! I love to think about that; God creating us to do good works simply for our benefit. It's a good life...

There, of course, is more...but since Lily is cartooned out at the moment, I need to sign off!

I just wanted to drop these thoughts on the blog today, in light of this great New Year that is ahead of us. I want to take Ephesians 2:10 to heart this year, more than ever before. I want to help people. I wish that everyone would know the wonderful grace that Jesus gives. And I want to live to my highest potential...for such a time as this. How about you?

No comments: