Thursday, January 20, 2011

I win!

Lily is showing herself to have quite a competitive spirit! Anytime we are going to a different room in the house, or anywhere for that matter, she will generally run ahead of me and upon reaching the destination will turn around and say, "You lost, I win!" (Wish I had a video of her dancing right now behind me...)

I'm honestly glad that she has that competitive edge showing, it makes me laugh when I see it, but more than that, it makes me proud. It makes me feel like she is growing up in a secure environment, believing that she truly can win. Ok, ok, that may be a stretch, sure, but I relate most stuff to what my childhood was like. I don't ever recall feeling that competitive spirit, not ever. I was such an insecure child, that I was happy if I did not get picked last when teams were formed. I was happy if I did not trip during a race in P.E. class, for fear of looking foolish. I was happy if the "cool" kids acknowledged me. Insecurity is a far cry from feeling so secure that you can proclaim to anyone and everyone that you are a winner!

Now of course I am aware that too much competition can be bad, so can too much of anything. But for my little 2.5 year old, I'm not teaching her humility when she yells that she won...not yet. For just a little while, I'm going to enjoy seeing the security flow from my little daughter. There will be plenty of humbling opportunity in her life, so for now, while life is simple, Lily Rae, yes, you won. Indeed kid, you won.

How about you? How about me? Do you have that competitive edge that would drive you to do something great in this life? I didn't. Not for many, many years. It is only until fairly recently that I can honestly say, look out Jack, I'm going to do something great in this life. Because that's the security that I've found in knowing the Lord...He wants us to win too. So who am I to stifle that competitive edge =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was awesome, I totally get that! That is where I am right now and I don't want miss what God has for me. I am receiving that for my life! Thank you for sharing this.