Thursday, March 28, 2013

The love of a friend

Maundy Thursday. Holy Thursday. The Thursday before Easter that we remember the Passover supper, the last meal that Jesus had with his disciples before being crucified. I can't fully wrap my head around such a meal; there are so many intricate details that go into a Passover meal that an in depth study of it would be extremely fascinating. Let's not forget that Jesus Himself was Jewish, therefore He held to Jewish tradition when it came to such things. The meaning behind the customs and traditions are so interesting.

But tonight, my heart feels overwhelmed at the thought of this last supper, not too mention the events about to unfold at the Mt. of Olives. I imagine a Jesus, unable to really eat during supper, being fully human and yet fully God, but feeling extremely heavy. The fullness of what He was about to experience has not even hit Him yet, as the Garden experience still lies ahead. But here He is at the Passover meal, attempting to break the news to His followers, His disciples, his companions, His friends.

He loved the disciples. Imagine how close He felt to them, having experienced such tremendous joy over the course of the short ministry that had taken place up to this point. The joy of healing people, the joy of seeing people set free from demonic possession, the joy of seeing a life restored, the joy of re-birth coming over people; all the joys shared amongst the group only drew them that much closer. Jesus loved them dearly. In fact, I love how Jesus prays to God for them in John 17. He says, "while I was with them in the world, I kept them in your name." Meaning He protected them, He provided for them, He took close watch of them...He kept them. I love that.

Imagine the scene for a moment, if you will. Picture it happening to you. You are surrounded by a group of people that you dearly love; a group of people that have not left your side since you stepped out and began what God had called you to do. A people that look to you for every answer, every worry, every hope and every dream. And now imagine that you have to tell them that this is the last time you will eat with them here on this earth. You have to tell them, in fact, that you are going to die. Can you even for one second feel what the disciples were feeling? Can you allow yourself to feel the despair and confusion that must have overwhelmed all those in attendance that night? And Jesus. He loves them. He knows this news is shattering their very core and yet He knows it is essential to God's plan of redemption for their very souls, the very souls He has grown to love and feels the need to pray for in John 17. (It's great to note that Jesus prays for us as well in John 17, He prays for all those that would believe. Pretty cool.)

I read something tonight that just brought this meal to a different light for me. We have the best Children's Bible I've ever read, in my humble opinion of course! It just seems that every story brings scripture to light in such a way that it blesses me each time I read it with the girls. Tonight was no exception & I want to share this portion regarding the last supper:

Then Jesus picked up some bread and broke it. He gave it to His friends. He picked up a cup of wine and thanked God for it. He poured it out and shared it.

"My body is like this bread. It will break," Jesus told them. "This cup of wine is like my blood. It will pour out. But this is how God will rescue the whole world. My life will break and God's broken world will mend. My heart will tear apart - and your hearts will heal. Just as the passover lamb died, so now I will die instead of you. My blood will wash away all of your sins. And you'll be clean on the inside - in your hearts. So whenever you eat and drink, remember," Jesus said, "I've rescued you."

Jesus knew it was nearly time for him to leave the world and go back to God. "I won't be with you long," He said. "You are going to be very sad. But God's helper will come. And then you'll be filled up with a forever happiness that won't ever leave. So don't be afraid. You are my friends and I love you."

I just love that. I love the picture it paints. He loved His friends. He loved us. And so He left us with a ceremonial way to remember Him, communion.

Love caused Him to do that. Love for His Father. Love for His friends. Love for you. And love for me.

On this Thursday before Easter, may that love overwhelm us...there is nothing like the love of a friend. Jesus is my friend. And I guess there is plenty of Him to go around for you too ;)

No comments: