Thursday, August 23, 2012

Does it ever stop?

I don't know about you, but I have days where my mind is constantly going. I'd venture to say most all women have this problem, our mind's don't take a rest! We are always thinking of the tasks of the day, the problems we are facing, the hurts of others or even ourselves, the needs that we are aware of...the list goes on and on and on. Wether we are sad or rejoicing, mad or delighted, anxious or peaceful, we are always something. Something is always filling our mind. Something. What's your something today?

Psalm 94:19 says, "In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul."

How great a scripture is that? It goes along with what I was reading this morning in John 14 where Jesus said, "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

Then I open up good old Facebook and this scripture was posted: Matthew 11:29 "Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."

Hmmm. I see a theme for the day here! Peace. Rest. Comfort.

We like to fix stuff. We want to solve everyone's problems. We women care so very deeply for people that when a friend or family member is struggling, it nearly overwhelms our soul until that situation is resolved. But is that right? Well, to a degree I think so. And to a degree, not so much.

I love women. I love how intricate we are. I love how emotional we are. I love how big we love. I love how it's first nature for us to help someone. I think God did a pretty cool job when He created us!

But then there is the side of us that.never.shuts.off. Or maybe that's just me. Our mind's keep going and going until we have either re-hearsed the situation to death or we have solved the problem ten times over or we have struggled to make sense of something, etc., etc., etc.

Anyone? No? Just me? Ok, I'll take the wrap today! Well I have a news flash for you then, Jen Steelman: It's not up to you to fix the world!

Nor is it up to anyone else out there that has ever mulled over stuff until they are blue in the face, thinking that the more we think about it the closer we are to fixing it. Not true.

Jesus left us with His peace. His peace? Can you imagine the depth of that peace? Go with me for a moment to Gethsemane. Oh my goodness. Ya gotta read it for yourself: Luke 22:41-44 "And He was withdrawn from them about a stone’s throw, and He knelt down and prayed, saying, “Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done.” Then an angel appeared to Him from heaven, strengthening Him. And being in agony, He prayed more earnestly. Then His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground."

The One who could fix the world had a mind that was full. The One who very well could have solved His problem at that moment, had a mind that was overwhelmed. He easily could have said, "forget it. I'm not doing this. I'm not going through with it. Forget it." He could have decided to just fix the world. Forget the plan of redemption, just fix it. Make everyone robots.

But in essence He says "I love these people too much. I love them so much that I want them to have their own free will. I created them each so individually, and I love that about them! I want them to make their own choices regarding their feelings toward me. I will die for them. And in so doing I will make it so very easy for them to get to me. Because I love them."

Talk about a mind that's overwhelmed. Talk about the weight of the world on His shoulders, literally. LITERALLY.

So when He says that He leaves us with His peace, He knows the extent of what that means. He knows what it is like to agonize over something, He knows what it's like to want to fix a problem, He knows what it's like to hurt and to grieve, He knows what it's like to have people hate you, He knows what it's like to be rejected and betrayed, He knows what it's like to be afraid of the unknown, and He knows what it's like to love a person (people) so deeply that it overwhelms you to the core of your soul. He knows.

And it's with that knowledge that He is able to say, "MY peace I leave with you." He knows what is waiting for us in eternity. He knows the end from the beginning. He knows how that problem you are worried about will be solved. He knows how He is going to take that difficult situation you went through and use it for good. He totally, totally knows.

And that, my friends, is the Peace He gives. It's a peace that we can hang onto reminding us that He is in control and not us. It's a peace that we can claim in the midst of any storm we might face. It's a peace that will surround us in the confusing seasons of life. It's a peace that will indeed go beyond what we can understand and bring such a sense of calm that we have no doubt that God is on His throne. It's a peace that drove Jesus to the cross...woah. Peace? He went to the cross with peace? You bet He did. Because He trusted in His Father to work all things for the good. Wow.

So when life begins to overwhelm us, and our mind begins to race with all the "stuff" we women face, remember the peace that Jesus left us with. Remember that He felt all the same emotions that you feel. And remember, that in spite of what He felt, He stayed on the path created for Him, trusting in God, walking in Peace.

Reminds me of the hymn, "peace, peace, wonderful peace, coming down from the Father above."

Hold onto your peace today. Give those things over to the Lord, trust Him for the outcome. Because at the end of the day, He really can fix the world.

No comments: