Monday, January 30, 2012

Can you make me laugh?

Lily did not get enough sleep last night, as evidenced by her morning of crying over every last thing she could possibly cry about. At one point, in the midst of an episode of tears, she said, "Mommy, can you say something that will make me laugh?"

She is a funny kid, that's for sure. Sensitive as all get out. And funny. But in that moment of upset, she was not able to channel her funny bone, AT ALL. She needed someone else to do it for her! Unfortunately I had no wit at that moment but rather scooped her up and put her down for a nap! Hopefully when she wakes up, all will be right in the world of Lily, and she can laugh again.

But it got me thinking, we need each other! No matter where we are in life, we need friends. We need people that we can call on at a moments notice and say, "hey, can you make me laugh please?" Do you have anyone like that in your life? If you don't, ask God to bring that for you. I have a few people that I could call and know that they would genuinely crack me up if I desperately needed a good laugh.

We all face junk in life; bad news, disappointments, hardships, the list goes on and on. It's not necessarily what the outcome of the situation is that makes the difference, although of course it's a huge part, but rather, it's the journey through the situation that makes the difference. If we can come out to the other side of the negative thing we are up against, then we have won! If we can stand with our head held high, albeit barely standing, then we have won. If we can laugh through the junk, then we have won.

So I guess I say all that to say this, we need friends. My goodness how we need buddies in our lives! I love friends. Funny friends. Dramatic friends. Smart friends. Quirky and kooky friends. And friends that like to eat ;)

No comments: