Friday, June 5, 2009

He's all I need

Joei generally goes to bed pretty easy for me; we have her routine and so long as it's followed, all is well. Unless she wants her dad. Then it's a bit more time spent assuring her that he will be home soon, calling him and on and on. She will drag that horse out as long as she can!

Last night, she was in tears at bedtime, she wanted her dad. She started getting so upset that she could not catch her breathe and began saying over and over, "Call my daddy, he's all I need!" Over and over. And over.

I personally can't resonate with a statement like that, at least not in the physical realm. I don't recall a time in my life that I ever wanted my dad, a time that I thought he would meet my need. Ever. In fact, I had a terrible time accepting that God wanted to be a Father to me. So much so that I did not like calling God "father" because to me, that was an insult to the Lord. He was so much more than what I knew a father to be. It has taken quite a few years but yes, I do have a father. And yes, He is all I need.

When Lily was in the NICU and we were given the worst diagnosis possible, He was all I needed. When I quit my job to stay home with Joei and we were not promised any additional stable income, He was all I needed. When I have faced various trials throughout my life, again, He was all I needed. When I woke up this morning with a beat in my heart, even still, He is all I need. As I sit here this fine afternoon, in my wonderful home, yep, still...all I need. No matter the phase of life I am in, may I never forget to "call my daddy, He's all I need."

2 comments:

Marlene said...

So true, Jen. So very, very true.

projectredemption said...

Oh my gosh that totally brought tears to my eyes...genuinely.