Saturday, May 26, 2007

Do you trust me?

Do you remember playing that "trust" game when you were a kid? You know, where one person stands in front of the other...and you are supposed to just fall backwards, trusting that they will catch you before you hit the ground? I remember. I was never very good at it. I did not trust whomever it was enough to catch me! I thought for sure I would smash the ground, bust my skull and that would be the end of life as I knew it! Uh, dramatic much? Well yes. But then again, I've never been one to trust easily. Growing up, people failed me. Yes, failure is human nature, so I guess it is to be expected. However, when it happens at a young age, well, it makes trusting difficult. I can say however, that I don't struggle with it anymore, not like I used to anyway. Trust is faith. You have to have faith in people, faith enough to put yourself out there, and just trust 'em. No I'm not saying to be naive about it, obviously I don't just take every Joe Schmo at his word. However, there are people in my life that God has put there, and it's up to me to step out in faith, and give 'em a chance.

The Bible says to "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Ultimately, we can trust the Lord. Even when we don't understand our circumstances, when people fail us, when we have no direction, we can trust in the Lord. He promises to make our paths straight, to work everything out. BUT, we first have to trust. That does not necessarily come easy for everyone. And go figure, but God knew that! That's why His word also says that "He will never leave us nor forsake us."

People will fail us. Friends, family, politicians, neighbors, they will fail. But God remains the same. He does not change. That is what we can trust in.

So I want to encourage you (uh, if anyone actually reads this) to trust in the Lord with all your heart. Don't try to figure it out, or fix everything in your own strength, but lean on the Lord, he will work it all out for your good. If trust has been compromised, as we hear so much about these days, allow God to rebuild your faith in people. He can restore that which has been broken, after all, that's the business He is in!

Instead of allowing fear of people & the fear of them potentially failing us, why don't we just allow ourselves to "fall" back, to just trust that yeah, they might actually catch us.

No comments: